Opalescent stained glass was installed in seven “lancet” windows—those with pointed arches like the head of a spear—in the nave of Trinity Church from 1893 to 1927. Five of the windows have factory trademarks of the Louis Comfort Tiffany Glass and Decorating Company of Corona, Queens, N. Y. They are best viewed in the high sun of summer—the east windows in morning and the west ones in afternoon. Red and yellow panes of glass become brilliant at midday, whereas blue and purple colors dominate when the light wanes. Given variable weather and a shift in the sun’s position, the illumination of a stained glass window is rarely repeated.
The Tiffany Windows of Trinity Church were highlighted in the North Country Public Radio Program, Open Sudio on November 29, 2007. During the program Betsy Travis, the Altar Guild Directress at Trinity and former Director of the Potsdam Musuem gives a detailed explanation of the beautiful windows.
The information on the windows is adapted from an article entitled
VIEWER’S GUIDE TO TIFFANY WINDOWS,
TRINITY CHURCH ON FALL ISLAND, POTSDAM, NY
By James D. Carl
Dr. Carl is a emeritus faculty member at SUNY Potsdam in the department of Geology. He has also written a history of Trinity Church which includes an explanation of the local Potsdam sandstone.